A current American Heart Association BLS healthcare provider CPR certification or equivalent is a requirement within two weeks of the start of class. If you do not have an American Heart Association BLS healthcare provider CPR or equivalent certification, EMA can provide the required training. Please email us promptly to schedule your CPR certification course.
Hazardous Materials First Responder Awareness, Landing Zone Officer, and Extrication Awareness Certifications are included in this course.
Clinical requirements for each student will be scheduled during the course. All clinicals are scheduled with agencies in Ada County. If you would like to schedule clinical time with an agency outside of Ada County this can be arranged but it must be done with cooperation between the outside agency and Emergency Medicine Academy. Please let us know if you are interested in this option at the beginning of your EMT course.
Students will be given an EMA uniform polo at the start of the course.
EMA conducts in house NREMT psychomotor testing included in the cost of tuition. At the conclusion of the course you will have the opportunity to participate in the NREMT psychomotor test. This means that upon graduation from EMA you will only have to complete the NREMT written test to earn your NREMT certification.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the ethical and legal responsibilities of an EMT, explain the EMS system and its function, describe the role of the EMT in an EMS system.
- Demonstrate the ability to perform an assessment of vital signs.
- Demonstrate airway assessment and management techniques used for medical and trauma patients.
- Demonstrate the ability to recognize and treat patients suffering from respiratory, cardiac, or altered mental status emergencies.
- Demonstrate the procedure for delivering a newborn during normal or complicated childbirth as well as basic infant and pediatric resuscitation techniques.
- Demonstrate proper technique for providing emergency care to victims of trauma.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of ambulance operations.
Emergency Medicine Academy LLC is recognized as a training institution by the Idaho Department of Emergency Medical Services and is registered as a proprietary school with the Idaho State Board of Education.
This course was designed in accordance with the National Registry and State of Idaho EMT Curriculum. This course will provide education in the treatment and transport of ill and injured patients in the emergency setting. Additionally, successful completion of this course will make the student eligible to take the exams required to obtain a national certification as an EMT. This course includes lectures, demonstrations, practical skills, instruction and clinical hours. Clinical hours are mandatory and are in addition to scheduled class time.