HeartCode® Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) will allow students to assess and treat patients in healthcare settings. The course is designed for healthcare providers that need ACLS for their clinical duties. This includes physicians, nurses, paramedics, respiratory therapists, pharmacists and others as required by their employer. To enter the course, students must complete a precourse self-assessment. The course includes in-hospital patient cases, including a BLS case and 2 mega code cases. There are a variety of additional videos as well as the ACLS Provider Manual and the 2015 Handbook of Emergency Cardiovascular Care to enhance learning and facilitate successful completion of the patient cases.
After successfully completing the full HeartCode ACLS Course students should be able to:
- Apply the BLS, Primary, and Secondary Assessments sequence for a systematic evaluation of adult patients
- Perform prompt, high-quality BLS, including prioritizing early chest compressions and integrating early AED use
- Recognize and perform early management of respiratory arrest
- Discuss early recognition and management of ACS and stroke, including appropriate disposition
- Recognize and perform early management of bradyarrhythmias and tachyarrhythmias that may result in cardiac arrest or complicate resuscitation outcome
- Recognize and perform early management of cardiac arrest until termination of resuscitation or transfer of care, including immediate post–cardiac arrest care
- Model effective communication as a member or leader of a high-performance team
- Evaluate resuscitative efforts during a cardiac arrest through continuous assessment of CPR quality, monitoring the patient’s physiologic response, and delivering real-time feedback to the team
- Recognize the impact of team dynamics on overall team performance
- Discuss how the use of a rapid response team or medical emergency team may improve patient outcomes
Upon successful completion of their course, students receive an American Heart Association ACLS course completion card, valid for two years and earn 16 hours of CE credit.
Classes are scheduled for groups and corporate trainings upon request. Please call 208-996-9248 to schedule a course.